Wall Sized T-shirt

That’s what I am working on. Here is the cotton jersey I ordered. A 5 foot wide 63 yard roll. It’s going to cover about 90% of my surfaces. The other 10% is a mystery. I could order another roll and have enough leftovers to start my own sweat shop. Let me think about it.

6G5V5895

Putting this stuff up totally transforms the space. From a Saw V set to a giant blue couch. Most importantly the sound will not change. At some point I’ll take more room measurements with Room EQ Wizard and compare it to the old fiberglass insulated room.

To the installation should any pioneering and brave souls follow.

When the fabric arrived I was pleasantly surprised. It’s softer and heavier then I expected.  The weave is dense so not much cotton batt insulation get’s by.  And it’s not shear unless you back light it. Good.

6G5V5898

The most difficult part is placing it on the walls and ceilings.  First, it’s a huge piece of fabric to work with.  Second, it’s quite elastic due to the spandex content.

The elastic part is a double edged sword. It can expand to wrap nicely around things such as outlets, light fixtures, and my adorable sub panel.  But when installing you need to make sure the tension is uniform across the 5 foot width. If you don’t you’ll get unsightly tension wrinkles. I’m dreadfully embarrassed.

To do a decent (but not perfect) job  I needed to put each piece up in stages. This will fascinate nearly anyone so take note for party conversations or a first date.

  1. Do rough placements with pushpins. You can pretty much guarantee your first placement will not be your final. Use pushpins to make a rough placement then come back and make a finer placement. Step back. If it looks good get out the staple gun.
  2. Leave extra at the edges. There were a few times when I had to remove and replace the whole sheet. All because I didn’t have wiggle room for adjustments. Leave some extra. You can always trim off later.
  3. Staple! See below.

Fasteners. I thought about this far too long, considering steel thumbtacks, staples, upholstery nails, and upholstery tacks. Steel thumbtacks look cool for sure. They are cheap, but they can’t stand up to hardwood. I even ordered a special tack pusher. According to the site it can be used to push steel tacks into hardwood frames for needle arts. My ass. I broke 2 of every 3 tacks no matter what I tried. Steel or not they do not stand up to framing lumber.

Upholstery nail heads seemed like overkill. I’m just holding up T-shirt fabric. They are not cheap (compared to staples). Ditto for upholstery tacks.

1/4″ T50 staples are working for me. They are fast to install and cheap. Not as cool looking as steel tacks but they make me swear out loud less.

The mix room is not fully dressed yet.  One pant leg on and working.

This entry was posted in Music. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *